Title: Head of Treatment Planning
Section: Radiotherapy Physics
BiographyChris studied Physics at Oxford University (MPhys 1998), and Medical Physics at the University of Surrey (MSc 2001). Since 2001 he has worked as a Radiotherapy Physicist in the NHS, first at the Royal Marsden Hospital in Sutton, and since 2012 at the Royal Surrey County Hospital in Guildford. During his time in Sutton he completed a part-time PhD at the Institute of Cancer Research, investigating the use of functional imaging to design optimal radiotherapy dose distributions. He is currently Head of Radiotherapy Treatment Planning and Deputy Head of Radiotherapy Physics. In addition to his clinical role, he has research interests in: automation of image segmentation and treatment planning; use of functional imaging in treatment planning; clinical implementation of on-line adaptive radiotherapy; clinical trials of hypofractionated radiotherapy; he is currently co-supervising his second PhD student, who is investigating the use of image texture analysis for planning radiotherapy. He is a member of CTRad Workstream 4 (new technology, physics, quality assurance), and of the trial management group for the CHHiP trial.
- Naismith et al. Forward- and Inverse-Planned Intensity-Modulated Radiotherapy in the CHHiP Trial: A Comparison of Dosimetry and Normal Tissue Toxicity Clin. Onc. 2019; 31(600)
- Wang HYC et al. The stability of imaging biomarkers in radiomics: a framework for evaluation. Phys. Med. Biol. 2019 May 22
- Phillips I et al. Clinical applications of textural analysis in non-small cell lung cancer. Br. J Radiol. 2018 Jan;91(1081)
- McQuaid S et al. Factors influencing the robustness of P-value measurements in CT texture prognosis studies. Phys. Med. Biol. 2017 Jul 7;62(13): 5403-5416
- Dearnaley D et al. Conventional versus hypofractionated high-dose intensity-modulated radiotherapy for prostate cancer: 5-year outcomes of the randomized, non-inferiority, phase 3 CHHiP trial. Lancet Oncol. 2016 Aug;17(8):1047-60
- Hussein M et al. Clinical validation and benchmarking of knowledge-based IMRT and VMAT treatment planning in pelvic anatomy. Radiother Oncol. 2016 Sep;120(3):473-479.
- Tariq I et al. Mathematical modelling of tumour volume dynamics in response to stereotactic ablative radiotherapy for non-small cell lung cancer. Phys. Med. Biol. 2015; 60: (3695-3713)
- Alobaidli S et al. The role of texture analysis in imaging as an outcome predictor and potential tool in radiotherapy treatment planning. Br J Radiol. 2014 Oct;87(1042)
- Dearnaley D et al. Conventional versus hypofractionated high-dose intensity-modulated radiotherapy for prostate cancer: preliminary safety results from the CHHiP randomised controlled trial. Lancet Oncol. 2012 Jan;13(1):43-54. Epub 2011 Dec 12.
- South CP et al. Dose prescription complexity versus tumor control probability in biologically conformal radiotherapy. Med Phys. 2009 Oct;36(10):4379-88.
- South CP et al. A theoretical framework for prescribing radiotherapy dose distributions using patient-specific biological information. Med Phys. 2008 Oct;35(10):4599-611.
- South CP et al. A comparison of treatment planning techniques used in two randomised UK external beam radiotherapy trials for localised prostate cancer. Clin Oncol 2008 Feb;20(1):15-21. Epub 2007 Dec 3.